June 7, 2014

Another Old Magazine - The Progressive Farmer from April 1939

OK, so here's yet another old magazine that Jamie had salvaged from the attic of that old house years ago.

It's an issue of The Progressive Farmer from April 1939.  It's pretty interesting.  The front cover and about 10 pages of it were lost, but most of it is there, even though it is very fragile and crumbling.

(Some of the following pictures I had to piece together because the pages of the magazine are so big.  That's why some of the pictures look a little off-kilter in places).

I was excited to see that one of the articles in the magazine was about our very own town!:

Pretty neat, huh?

Here's on old cigarette ad I thought was interesting:

I thought the picture in this Chevy ad was amusing.  The farmer's like, "Lookee here, Ethel, at what I dun went an' bought fer us"!  And the dude checkin' out the Chevy's like, "Well, land sakes alive...how in th' world cud he ever afford t' git hisself one'a them fancy thangs"!  LOL!:

The magazine evidently had some kind of Church Improvement Contest.  The winner from Alabama made me laugh.  Since this picture was taken after the improvements were made, I wonder what the church looked like before the improvements were made!:
Yes.  Adding the door was definitely an improvement.

LOL!

Check out this weird ad for roll-your-own cigs using Prince Albert (in a can, of course)!:

At first glance, I didn't understand this next ad.  I thought the wife was having to do dishes by lamplight because they were farmers (a/k/a poor) and didn't have electricity or something.  I had to read the whole ad before I realized that it really meant that if the farmer had better tires on his tractor, then he could go faster, and make it home in time for supper!:

I didn't really get this next ad, either.  A stork bringing a baby horse in a bathtub?  Apparently it's about making sure your spark plugs are clean.  Whatever!:

Here's a closeup view of the alleged plug cleaning process:
So, Baby Horse In The Shower = Clean Spark Plugs.  OK.

This made me smile:

And this fridge ad was something else.  First of all, the thing runs on kerosene.  I can't even imagine.  Second of all, it touts that farm folks can now enjoy "the same joys of ice cubes, ice cream and frozen desserts that millions of city folks have":

This magazine didn't have quite as many ads for laxatives as the other magazines did, but it did have several!  (I'm guessing that the farmers must have been more regular than the "city folks" from eatin' all those home-grown fruits and vegetables and toilin' all day in the fields; it must've kept their bowels in check)!:


I can remember Me-Maw making me chew this when I'd spend the night with her sometimes:

I like the name of this next product-- 'Crazy'!  LOL!:


And Now...

Who looks weird and really likes pecans?

THIS GUY.
Nuts...it takes one to know one.

LOL!

We've all seen these old-timey washing machines:

But have you ever seen one of these nifty little desks?

Did I say desk?  I MEANT STOVE.:

Maybe you're in the market for some new frickin' machinery:

Or maybe it's high time you went out and got yourself a new goober:
(What did you think I was talking about)?  ;)

But sometimes, all you need is a real fork:

No, there weren't too many laxative ads in this magazine, but there was an alarming abundance of these ads:




All those tombstone ads were pretty weird.

But what was really unexpected were these ads:




OK...?

Moving on to The Grand Finale...Dorky (and politically incorrect) Old Jokes:

Well, allrightee then!  :/

Stay tuned yet again for my final installment of stuff from old papers, coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment