February 21, 2015

Crazy Things I Saw Yesterday

You know how yesterday I got to go to work.  Even though school was closed for the students, all school staff had to come in to work anyway.  Which was GREAT by me, since it got me out of the house, which I was sick of being cooped up in!  We just took the day to do some cleaning.  One of my particular chores was to clean all the windowsills in the cafeteria, sweep out all the corners and edges along the walls, and scrub any food splotches off the walls.  So I grabbed a ladder, some cleaning stuff and a rag, and away I went.

I was about a third of the way around scrubbing the windowsills, when something caught my eye on the floor of the little foyer just inside an outside entrance.

It was a big black stapler:

Here's a closer view:

I wondered how in the world anybody could drop one of those huge staplers and not even realize it.  It would be all *CLUNK BA-DUNK*, and the burden in your arms would lift by like, 5 pounds.  I then came to the conclusion that whoever's stapler it was, they must have ditched it on purpose.  My theory is that when we had school (briefly) on Wednesday, and it started snowing, so they called off school at 8:30, a teacher must have just scooped up a load of random stuff off her desk (including a vitally important bag of M&Ms), and simply fled immediately out the nearest door.  Then, realizing that she wouldn't actually need the 5-pound stapler at home, turned around, re-opened the door of the school, and flung the stapler back inside.

That's my theory anyway.

We were allowed to leave work at 2:00 yesterday, so I went and picked up Lilly from Papaw & Patti's, and we drove back home.  We were just a couple miles from the house, when we couldn't believe our eyes.  Even though it was literally freezing outside, and a dusting of snow was on the ground, coming toward us in the other lane was a BICYCLIST.  Wearing his bike helmet and skin-tight spandex bicyclist's bodysuit thing.  Me and Lilly couldn't believe it.  Who in the hell in their right mind would be out riding their freakin' bicycle in weather like this?  So I can't decide if the bicycle dude was 1) dedicated, or 2) a moron.  So I've come to the conclusion that he's both.  A dedicated moron.

Yesterday evening, we let the dogs out of the house so they could go crap and pee and do dog things outside for a while.  It was dark outside, but Jamie had turned on the garage light and the floodlights.  A little while later, Jamie happened to look out the window because Maddie's strange behavior caught his eye.  Then he said "Maddie's got a possum"!  Immediately, I threw down the book I was reading, busted out from under my blanket, grabbed my phone so I could take a video of it, and, well, here ya go.  I was in such a hurry because I didn't want to miss any action, that I didn't realize that my stupid phone wouldn't be able to video good at all in the dark (and I completely forgot until just now that I probably could have switched it to Night View, duh), and I didn't even think grab a flashlight.  But anyway, here's what I was able to get:
This is the second time that Maddie has gotten a possum.  She never hurts them at all; she just likes to gently pick them up in her gaping maw, and carry them up to the house for us to see.  It's really hilarious.  I think she secretly wanted to bring it in the house.  But even we wouldn't stand for that!  :/

Speaking of possums, I had a 'pet' possum one time when I was probably a young teenager.  It was a baby one about the size of your hand that we had found somewhere.  I don't even know if it was male or female, but we named it George Jones (LOL) and I kept it in an old hamster cage for a few days.  It smelled bad, and it liked to crawl behind my back when I was sitting on the couch and stay in the space between the small of my back and the couch cushion.  I don't remember what we tried to feed it (probably carrots and lettuce), but we were eventually horrified to discover that it was actually eating its own poo!  >:P  Finally we realized that we just had to let it go, so we carried it in the hamster cage down to the shed, and just left the door of the cage open so it could escape.  The next time I went to check on it, it was gone.

Anyway, it actually snowed some more last night, so we have about an inch of snow on the ground now.  Jamie and Lilly are outside attempting to sled (surprisingly, Jamie actually agreed to go outside with Lilly and play; he usually refuses).  Me, I don't typically like to go out in the cold and snow, but if there's enough snow to be deep enough to sled on properly, then it's harder for me to resist.  Speaking of me sledding, here's a video of me sledding at Snow World when we went down to spend the night with our Aunt Brenda back in December:
It was one of the funnest things I've ever done!  :)

Today is also the first day our mean cat, Sassybat, got to experience her first snow.  She's about 1 year old now, we figure.  Needless to say, like a typical cat, she was not amused at the cold, wet snow, and came rushing back in the house almost immediately, shaking each one of her paws individually and washing them to get rid of the dampness.  Hee hee!

Even the cat wants Spring to hurry up and get here already!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment