May 31, 2013

The Dumpster Chronicles, Episode 5 / Beach Treasures!

Today Jamie came home from work dragging in a cardboard box of random crap he yanked out of the dumpster:

First of all, a purse for me -- how thoughtful!  :/

And Jamie's favorite -- a pile of random crap that he just had to save from the foul clutches of the dump:
(even Domino is like 'WTH is this $h*t?!?')

  • Not one, but two 'knuckle-buster 3000' old-school (literally) pencil sharpeners,
  • A newer model (electric) pencil sharpener.  And of course Jamie didn't know if it even worked or not when he saved it from the dump, so we plugged it in and tried it here at home, and it sounded like someone had previously rammed a California Redwood in it.  :/
  • Another %^*#%^* plastic skull to go with the first one he dragged in months ago  >:{
  • Some cheesy little wooden choo-choo train Christmas ornament thingie
  • An old yellow Hot Wheels car from 1978 that's "in good shape" (according to Jamie)  :/
  • A scuzzy old disgusting-looking, worn out, crappy (used to be red) Matchbox car from 1971 (Jamie had one of these when he was little, so of course he had to have this one, even though it looks like it had been ravaged and subsequently digested by a Sasquatch, and then crapped out in front of a speeding subway train)
  • A weird old Matchbox hovercraft from 1972
  • A crappy old red Tootsietoy motorcycle trailer from 1969  (again, that Jamie used to have when he was little, so he couldn't bear to pass it up)
  • And 2 "really good" bungee cords

(and a Partridge In A Pear Tree)  O__o  Sheesh!  Where are we gonna put all this crap?!?  >:{

Anyway, I was naturally completely skeptical of the purse that Jamie salvaged for me from the dump.  My first instinct was like OH HAIL NO, but it looked clean, and of course I rummaged through it like everyone does just to make sure there's no money or anything good that had been left in it.  Nothing.  But as I rummaged, I realized that it really was clean, it was a decent size, it had all these awesome pockets that fit my junk just perfectly, and it even matched my bathing suit, to beat the band!  Sooooo...

SOLD!
The perfect beach-going purse!  Heh heh heh!

So then we all piled up in the car and went out to the beach AGAIN.  (I know, we go there a LOT).  When we were there yesterday, Lilly spotted one of those 'fun noodles' and it honestly did appear to have been abandoned there by somebody.  Nobody had touched it since we had been there, and it was laying way back from the shore, on a mulched bank in the shade, away from everybody.  Well, Lilly thought she could do the 'five-finger-discount' move and snag it to bring home with her, but when she tried, some old man and woman walked up, and the man told Lilly that the fun noodle belonged to his wife (who Lilly said "looked like she was 80, didn't even swim, and what would an old lady do with a fun noodle anyway").  So that was a bust, and kind of embarrassing.

So when we headed out to the beach today, I told Lilly "let's not take anything unless we're totally 100% sure that it's really been abandoned".  It was kind of hard to do, because Lilly likes to snag everything she can get her hands on.  When it was time to go, she tried to snag a little abandoned red plastic boat beach toy (just a simple one, like for an infant), and I told her NO; to just leave it for some other little kid.  After all, Lilly already snagged a yellow one from there the other day, and I know she will never play with it.  (She's just like her daddy -- she just likes to HAVE stuff, whether she needs it or not).

Then Lilly spotted a little plastic beach sand toy rake, and I had previously noticed that it had apparently been abandoned, and I told her that she could snag it.  So she was happy with that.

But best of all, when I stood up out of my beach lounge chair, getting ready to go tell Lilly that we were about to leave, something laying in the sand caught my eye just a few steps away.  It was a sterling silver ring, just my size!  It appears to have a turquoise stone in it, but I'm not sure if the turquoise is real or not (it's kinda pretty, anyway, even if it does turn out to be fake).  But I was so excited to find it!  Needless to say, I think we're going to borrow my dad's metal detector soon and use it to sweep that beach (and probably many more in the area) just to see what other 'treasures' we can find!  :D

Right after I found the ring today, not to be outdone, Jamie wanted to find 'treasure' of his own.  So he discovered a white plastic clothespin (ha ha), and then he found a quarter (whee)!  Here's the bounty of our impromptu treasure-hunt:
AWESOME!  I can't wait to see what we turn up with the metal detector!  Maybe an entire matching set of clothespins!  :D

LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment